Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What to do after high school...

Martha and Gene in 1951
Back to my story, this young man's name was Gene Franklin.  From that Sunday on we started dating twice a week  One Thursday he didn't come and I didn't hear from him.  I was ready to leave Saturday night but he arrived before I left. He explained that he had been sick, so I understood.

I was thrilled to be graduating high school in May of 1951, but I did not know what I was going to do after high school. I thought about going into nursing or taking a business course.  I had an aunt and uncle in West Virginia.  They came to visit us and as they started to head home,  they invited me to visit them. I visited them for a few weeks that summer. I seems that  Gene must have worried about whether I would come back. My aunt and uncle even offered to send me to business school if I stayed in West Virginia. But  I went back home and Gene was there that weekend  and asked me to marry him. He even had a ring with him. Of course, I said, "Yes!"  We started double dating with a couple from my church,  Doris Howell ( our pastor's daughter) and J. D. Earley.  Since we were both engaged, we decided to have a double wedding at our  church.  The wedding took place on Saturday, December 22 1951, at 6 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment